Saturday, June 19, 2021

Interview with P.C. Zick (Patricia Zick) multi-genre author

 

Recently, the prolific author, P.C. Zick was our guest on Writer’s Night Out. She agreed to an interview for our Netwest Writers site. Thank you so much, Pat, for this interview. We know you are a busy person and our readers will learn that, too, when they read this post.

GCB: Your bio says you have a home in Tallahassee, Florida. Are you from Florida originally?

PCZ: Anyone who hears me speak can tell after about five seconds that I was not raised in the south because I’ve never lost my Michigan nasal twang. I was born and raised in a small Michigan town but moved to north Florida forty years ago.

GCB: You have a series of books set in Florida. Will you tell us about them?  

PCZ: I have three books in my Florida Fiction series. They are a series because they address the same themes about Florida’s environment, wildlife (both human and animal), and impacts of development upon the landscape. Setting plays a huge role in all my novels as I use it to move plot, set mood, and characterize the folks populating the fiction. All three books contain elements of my life as a journalist, feature writer, and public relations director for Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission as I used research done for assignments as the seed for the plots in these novels.

GCB: When did you begin spending your summers here in Western NC? Why did you choose this area? Which books did you write that are inspired by this region?

PCZ: We bought our cabin in 2015 in the Peachtree area outside Murphy, NC. Around the same time, I was under obligation to write a Christmas romance for a multi-author boxset. I hadn’t chosen a setting yet, but when I sat on my front porch overlooking the surrounding mountains, setting chose me. I loved the community of people I created for that book so much I continued to write three more sweet romances set in the fictional town of Laurel, NC, in western NC. These four books make up my Smoky Mountain Romance series.

GCB: Have you always been a writer or wanted to be a writer, or did you come to writing later in life?

PCZ: A little bit of both. I’ve always wanted to be a writer, but I wasn’t able to admit it to anyone until my late forties when my first book was published.

GCB: You wear many writerly hats, Pat. You write and publish in many genres. Do you recommend writers be more diverse in their writing? What are the advantages?

PCZ: I believe it’s a personal decision, neither right nor wrong. For me, I diversify to keep me from being bored. Other authors have great success with either keeping to one genre, writing to market, or using different pen names for each genre. It’s more difficult to create a “brand” for marketing when writing such diversified books.

 GCB: You have published romantic fiction, contemporary fiction, and creative nonfiction as well as short stories, articles, columns, and essays.  You are a busy writer. Do you ever feel you have to take a break from writing? If so, what do you do with your time?

PCZ: My writing takes a break from me at times, but I do not adhere to the concept of “writer’s block.” If I’m on deadline, I force myself to write using various techniques such as leaving my routine and writing space to do something different. When not on deadline and writing not coming easily, I read voraciously, watch movies, and even some reality TV. But I’m still a writer as I read, watch, and listen carefully for dialogue, plot devices, and literary techniques. It’s all prewriting!

GCB: You also are known for helping other writers. In what ways do you pass on your knowledge about writing?

PCZ: So many people from teachers to editors to other writers have assisted me along the way in my career that I feel I have a responsibility to help others. I encourage others to contact me via my website, email, Facebook, Twitter, or phone. I meet folks for coffee or talk on the phone and answer questions. I also have an editing business and help beginning writers take a rough draft through to publication.

That’s why when COVID hit, I decided to pull together all my knowledge on writing and publishing into one reference book, The Author’s Journey: A Road Map for Writers – From Draft to Published Book. It can be used by beginning writers and more experienced writers both as a handy reference. If I don’t answer the question, I provide an extensive bibliography for further information.

GCB: That is a wonderful book for any writer, but especially new writers. I recommend it to my students.


GCB: We always want to know the writer’s method of writing and publishing. Do you have certain times of day you write? Do you write every day?

PCZ: When I’m in the throes of writing a novel, I write every day after I clear my desk of emails and social media marketing. Even if I only spend a few minutes on the book, I consider it something. It might be research or tweaking what I wrote the day before, but I feel it’s crucial to keep at it, so time isn’t wasted going back and trying to remember what has happened previously. I consider everything I put to paper a form of writing, so in that way, I’m constantly stretching and practicing my craft. I even handwrite cards I send via snail mail to cheer folks or share news in a creative way.

GCB: Where are your books sold, Pat? Can we find them locally or where can we order them?

PCZ: My books are all available on Amazon in both eBook and paperback. Some are available for wider distribution with other major online retailers. Also, most of my books are now available on Audible. Folks can search “PC Zick” on Amazon and other retailers. Just click on my name and it takes you to my retail page. Also, visit pczick.com and all my books and their purchase sites are listed along with access to my editing website, The Manuscript Doctor.

GCB: Thank you so much for being with us, Pat. We always enjoy learning more about our members of NCWN-West and we look forward to hearing more from you on Mountain Wordsmiths with Carroll Taylor, Thursday, June 24.

PCZ: Thank you, Glenda. Your support of local writers is greatly appreciated. I’m looking forward to Mountain Wordsmiths on June 24 where I will read from my current work in progress, The Grateful Fates.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Glenda, for doing the interview. I enjoyed both answering the questions and reading for the authors in Writers Night Out. So happy to meet more writers from this area.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.