Saturday, September 2, 2017

Meet Bob Grove, local writer and interesting person



Recently Bob Grove, prose critique facilitator for NCWN-West, told us that he had published three more books. Bob has published 18 books already, but he has not stopped writing or publishing. I asked Bob to write something for our blog about him and his writing. This is what he said:

I suspect the fact that I bounced through five different colleges and universities before I settled down on a major could account for the diversions of my life—at least partially. I was on a first-name basis with the university registrar who patiently processed me through about a dozen different changes.

Although I've written and published 18 books, the most recent three were spawned by vastly separate circumstances.

I have a large extended family—sixteen grandchildren (last count) and a half-dozen great-grandchildren. They like to hear amusing stories about my life, and I enjoy telling them. Thus, was born Misadventures of an Only Child.

My autobiography continues to serve well for public readings; the revelations are usually followed up by one typical question from the audience: “Did you really do that?”  Yes, I did.

One of my fifty or so professions, occupations, and odd jobs included (and still includes) auctioneering. A personal fascination, is the endless assortment of bogus medical contraptions that have been foisted on the vulnerable public for centuries. I began collecting some of them myself, and finally wrote a descriptive, illustrated collection of these devices, entitled Medical Quackery.

And thirdly, my fascination with the workings, and more specifically, misworkings of the human mind led me to teach adult education classes in the recognition of mental disorders (my wife says I’m ADHD/OCD). I soon realized that there weren’t many easy-to-read volumes available on the subject, propelling me to publish my own textbook for classroom instruction, Abnormal Psychology.


Bob earned his bachelor’s degree from Kent State University and his master’s degree from Florida Atlantic University. He and his wife Judy live in Brasstown, NC.

You will find Bob’s books on Amazon.com, Kindle and on Create Space:
https://www.createspace.com/4669441      Misadventures of an Only child
https://www.createspace.com/7300982      Medical Quackery
https://www.createspace.com/7267696       Abnormal Psychology

Interview by Glenda Council Beall

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Bob upon the publication of his books. I look forward to reading his work.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.