Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Introducing Matt, the new Jackson County rep

 Netwest members, we'd like to introduce you to a new NCWN-West representative:  Matt Nelson is the new second representative for Jackson County.  Matt has written a piece about humor, which I’m posting here to give you some sense of your new rep.  Matt writes:

“Even as a child, I loved jokes because a good laugh made the pain of normal life go away for a little while. Seeing others smile when it was difficult for me do the same is amazing, especially if those who received joy were serious people with little time for humor. Another reason I like to make people laugh is that I suffer from anxiety, so it’s difficult for me to join a crowd. A quick joke is often enough for me to put on a brave face that doesn’t go away very easily.

 “Two jokes I like came from preachers; if a member of the cloth can make a crowd laugh, then it has to be good. Sermons can be a little dry once the handshaking is finished, but a few tears of joy have their  own charms.  The first one:  a man goes to the doctor and says he can’t taste anything because of his allergies. The doctor tells the nurse to bring Jar 23 from the back and she does. The doctor gives his patient a spoonful of the strange liquid; he immediately gags, but he is cured. A few weeks later, though, the patient comes back and tells his doctor that he can’t remember anything. The doctor asks how the patient knew where to go and the patient said a friend brought him and told him who to see for treatment. With a smile, the doctor tells the nurse to bring Jar 23; the patient runs for his life.

“An elderly man decides to move himself and his wife down to Florida. The husband takes care of everything while his wife packs up the old home. Sadly, the husband passes away before the big move. The poor widow is beside herself and does barely anything until after the funeral. Upon a check of the computer, the wife finds an email from her late husband and it’s dated the day of the funeral. The wife opens the email and it says “I’ve got everything waiting that a woman like you has deserved for your entire life. There are plenty of people to meet and there are also a few that we know from back home. I do admit that it sure is hot down here.”

“Other jokes come to me on the road or when I see something on TV that sets off my humor power. I often send these jokes out to friends, but sometimes I don’t get much of a response; while people have their own lives, I find it sad that not many can take a moment to say if they liked what I created. Since I don’t use most other forms of social media, I need some proof of life every now and then to make sure that everything is good elsewhere.

 “Jokes are my way to let people know how I feel; the more people laugh, the better I feel about doing anything. I’m sure that I’ll find plenty of new jokes in the future and would be glad to share them with anyone willing to lend an ear.”

Welcome to NCWN-West, Matt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.