Wednesday, December 4, 2019

BOOKMOBILES STILL SERVE RURAL COMMUNITIES


Earlier this year I wrote an article for the NCWN Newsletter that featured libraries. I was asked to write about bookmobiles. I wondered if we still have bookmobiles. I well remember the bookmobile that came to our farm in the summer. I loaded up on books to read until the bookmobile came again.


Bookmobiles Then and Now

As a little girl, I loved books. In the summer, on the farm, I had no books to read until the big yellow bookmobile pulled into our yard. It was my lifeline to the outside world. Mother called out, bookmobile is here. My little sister and I scrambled out the door and ran to the vehicle that looked like a van. Inside was a small library, its shelves lined with books for all ages. 

I remember the smell as I climbed the three steps up into the truck, a mix of polished wood and books. The front and back doors were opened wide to let in light. My eyes went straight to the books about horses.

We loaded our arms with as many as we could carry. Mother said, “Now, remember there are other children who want to read some of these books. You can’t take all of them.”

I never thought about where the bookmobile came from or where it went when it left our house. I devoured the books, and I could hardly wait for its return.

The bookmobile served rural areas as early as 1904. The People’s Free Library of Chester County, South Carolina provided a mule-drawn wagon that carried wooden boxes filled with books. In those days, bookmobiles were known as book wagons.

A pioneering public librarian drove a Ford Model T packed with books to rural areas in New Jersey as early as 1920. 

In 1923, it was the Hennepin County Public Library of Minneapolis that followed with bookmobile services. In the 1930s and the 1940s, in Kentucky and in Appalachia books were taken to those who were unable to make it to a library. However, the real boom for bookmobiles was throughout the 1950s when I was a child.

In 1950, North Carolina had the highest number of bookmobiles—87. Thanks to the Library Services Act of 1965, the bookmobile services rapidly spread and reportedly reached more than 30 million people across diverse rural communities. In 1970 bookmobiles in this country numbered two thousand, but in 2012 there were only eight hundred bookmobiles left in this country. Part of the decline was due to high cost of fuel. 
The Nantahala Regional Library Bookmobile serves Clay county.
Early bookmobile in Kentucky
Trudy Morrow and Debbie Whitener, librarians on wheels
Recently I talked with Trudy Morrow and Debbie Whitener, who drive a bookmobile in three counties taking books to those who have no other way to get them. Debbie said she has been doing this for seventeen years.

I told them how much the bookmobile meant to me when I was a kid. They were happy to take me inside and show me the newer version. Their route includes Clay, Cherokee and Graham Counties in rural western North Carolina. This bookmobile is based out of the Nantahala Regional Library, located at 11 Blumenthal St. Murphy, NC. Another bookmobile serves Jackson, Swain, and Macon counties as well as the Qualla Boundary.

The bookmobile has a monthly schedule. The drivers go where they are asked to visit—public, private and home schools, day care centers, nursing homes, and personal homes where people are not able to visit a public library. It takes four weeks to complete the route. The bookmobile maintains contact with the home office at the Regional Library Headquarters via cell phone while out in the service area.

Friday is the bookmobile’s day off, but the drivers/librarians are at the library and on call for anyone wishing to be put on the schedule.

As I stepped up into the mobile library, Trudy showed me the children’s books to the left. Picture books lined the bottom shelf. In the next section were books for older children, both fiction and nonfiction. On the opposite side, on light colored shelves, were the western novels like my father read, Louis Lamour, Zane Gray, Luke Short and books my mother would have checked out. Magazines are available, also. The overhead lights brightened the interior making it easy to read the titles on the covers unlike the dark walls and shelves of my youth. It seemed much smaller than the bookmobile that came to my house. But I was much smaller then.

Here in western North Carolina there is still a need for the mobile library.  I know the joy felt when the bookmobile arrives at someone’s home, whether that person is an adult who can’t go to the downtown library, or a child who has no access to a library. Books can carry that disabled person out into a world he will never see, and it offers dreams for children who might someday have the opportunity to make them come true.

See more photos of early bookmobiles at https://www.boredpanda.com/bookmobile-library-on-wheels/?utm_source=search.myway&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=organic



 

2 comments:

  1. I loved the Bookmobile that came to our little town in 1957!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I would not have thought you would have used a bookmobile, being a city girl. But you must have lived in a small town and there was a need. Thank goodness someone saw that need so many years ago and brought books to those who wanted them and could not get them.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.