Saturday, January 11, 2014

My Favorite Authors "Know" Me

By Bill Ramsey

As a reader, after completing a novel or a collection of poems, I am often left feeling that the book's author "knows" me. Oh, I don't mean that we are personally acquainted. It just seems that the book must have been written about me because it so accurately describes my life. 

When that happens, I ask myself if the author may have been reading my mail or even my mind. Was there a camera hidden in my home? Were my friends and family talking too loudly about me in a public place. What else could explain it? 

Then it came to me. Authors are people too, ordinary people with a finely developed and special skill. They observe, understand, and are able to describe real life in the printed word. They are honest and open, willing to make themselves vulnerable. As a reader, I appreciate what they write - even when it strikes so close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.