Thursday, January 16, 2014

A library with no books?


A public library with no books is now operating in San Antonio. At the cost of 2.3 million, the country's first and only paperless public library is providing patrons with rows of iMacs for use there and tablets to loan for those who want to do their reading at home. This library is expecting over 100,000 visitors in the first year. Libraries with no printed material are said by many to be "the future." If this is true, one has to ask what it means for the future of agents, publishers and even for writers. What do you think?

 

3 comments:

  1. That's different! I'm afraid I don't like the idea. Not good news for publishers and writers I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be old fashioned, there's nothing like turning the pages of a book in your hands. I can't adjust to all these electronic versions. It hasn't been until I've read blogs that I read on my computer, I used to print everything (trees are probably glad I've made that adjustment, LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out the hard way recently that depending on Internet for your reading and communication is not all that great! I found myself in a place for three weeks that had no Internet available. That was when I realized how much I was dependent on the web for everything. I'd still rather have my books in my hand, although I own a Kindle and a Nook. I am not all that comfortable with the Ebooks.That library you mention Bill, makes me shudder just a little.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.