Monday, April 23, 2012

Flexible and Fun at the Folk School

 by Linda Smith




When Glenda Barrett was not able to read in March at the Folk School, I said "Don't worry, we'll have open mic to fill in her time." J.C. Walkup was the star of the show. She sat down after one short piece. OK, I thought, I guess the rest of us will read and come back to her later. Lucy Cole Gratton, Bob Grove, and I read a poem or short piece of prose and round-robin it was J.C.'s turn again. This way was enjoyed by the readers and the listeners. Nancy Simpson was not able to come to read in April and I must tell you, she wants to celebrate National Poetry Month every day and especially by reading from her inspiring collections. I said, "We will just do what we did in March and the rest of us will gladly read." It was Maren Mitchell's turn to be the featured reader. I suggested to her that she would not have to read the whole 30 minutes at one time, as it can be tiring. We could take turns with her as we did in March. Maren agreed and read a few of her unique and delightful poems. Then boy, girl, boy, girl, went went around the packed room. Clarence Newton read from his hot off the press collection, "Short Glances Forward and a Long Look Back." Mary Ricketson read from her chapbook, "I Hear the River Call My Name." Bob Grove delighted us by reading his piece on Charles Dickens. Ann Cahill read a poem, and Robert King read two. I read a new one and then back to Maren who read a few more to finish the evening. We are flexible and have fun at the Folk school. When Glenda and Nancy are well, they can come back any month and we'll give them time to read some of their poems. We miss them and all those who have not attended lately. Robert King and Jayne Jaudon Ferrer will read on May 17th . We need a full audience, so please come and bring a guest.

4 comments:

  1. So nice to hear this. Wish I could have been there.
    Karen Paul Holmes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for carrying on when I could not be there. Most of all, thanks for making me a tape recording. As I listened, it seemed I was right there with you all and I could tell each of you were having fun and that the room was full and the reception was excellent. There was a lot of applause each time a poem was read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there... Maren is always delightful to listen to and be around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish all of you could have been there! We had fun.

    Maren O. Mitchell

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.