Monday, May 2, 2011

Which Lit Journal Shall You Read?

We all know that to be good writers we must constantly be readers. A colleague of mine recently directed me to this website, Every Writer’s Resource.com. This entity has selected “Top 50 Lit Journals” (see the website for criteria and list). If you are looking to subscribe to a new journal, I recommend this list, along with the website itself. As opposed to my other favorite website (www.newpages.com), Every Writer’s Resource.com takes a more historical approach to the written word, which I like - -it helps fill in any gaps we may have particularly as poets. If you click on the Poets section, you’ll find Thomas Hardy, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Phillis Wheatley, and Matthew Arnold to name just a few.

Back to the lit journals, I have been or am a subscriber to a few of them. My personal favorites include Crazy Horse (nice shape, interesting voices), Black Warrior Review (for its very oddness), Poetry (for the “comment” section as much as for the poetry), the Georgia Review (always something good in its pages), and the Southern Review (always something fresh). If you subscribe to the others on the list, I'd love to know your opinion. I’ve let a lot of my subscriptions slip lately due to the economy, but I’m going to choose a new one for this year…and it’ll be one I haven’t read yet. Here’s to happy reading and happy writing!

2 comments:

  1. Superb list, Rosemary. Thanks for sharing this web tip.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading is a great resource for writers, filled with rich examples from which we can learn so much.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.