Monday, November 22, 2010

Great Website for Writers

Greetings! As the new Program Coordinator for NCWN-West, I want to feature articles on our blog that speak to the craft of writing. I want to begin this endeavor by sharing with you a website that has been incredibly useful to me as a writer. Whether you are a poet or fiction writer, you will find the information on this site hugely helpful: www.newpages.com. If you are not already a visitor to this site, it is one you need to bookmark. I have it as one of my home pages, and I check it regularly. Because of newpages.com, I entered a poetry contest and actually won the contest (which came with a rare but significant monetary prize). What I like about newpages.com is that it is updated regularly with quality information – whether you want to enter a contest or search calls for submissions, you will be able to easily search a long list of literary journals or magazines that are seeking submissions. These links are found on the right-hand side of the page, and you can also search for writing conferences by state. What is so helpful about newpages.com is that the data is one click away, as opposed to endless searches that the user would have to do on his or her own. Newpages.com saves time, and it is contains reliable data. Every few weeks the “call for submissions” section is updated, and if you have a blog of your own, you may link it to this site to increase your visibility. I encourage all of you who are sending your work out or in search of a conference to visit newpages.com regularly. You will also find reviews of literary magazines, which can help you determine if you want to subscribe or if your work is a good match for the journal – always a must to research this before submitting. So check this site out if you have not already, and get your work out there!

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Rosemary. I can't wait to get started using this site.
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosemary, You're doing a great job. I've used newspages.com for years. Thanks. This is what our writers want. I hope they will check the blog more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this information. Just what so many of us need! As soon as I get back to NC and the dust settles, it's sure to be one of my regular stops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Rosemary for informing us of this website. You are doing an excellent job and we appreciate very much your hard work and dedication to the NCWN-W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Rose. I hadn't heard of this one. Do you know how it compares to duotrope.com? That's the one I've been using.
    -- Karen Holmes

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.