Friday, April 30, 2010

POET OF THE DAY: GLENDA COUNCIL BEALL

Glenda Council Beall's new chapbook, Now Might As Well Be Then, from Finishing Line Press (http://www.finishinglinepress.com/) deserves many readers. I was honored to write a blurb for it. Glenda has worked wonders for NETWEST as Program Director and deserves our thanks for supporting the literary arts in Western North Carolina.
Often those "supporters" are so busy making sure other writers find what they need to become better at the writer's craft that they don't have time for their own work. That's why I'm so pleased to honor Glenda as Poet of the Day. Here are a couple of my favorite poems from her new chapbook.



WOMAN IN THE MIRROR

What happened to seventeen,

when I rode my mare

free as the river flows,

jumped over downed trees

splashed through narrow streams?


What happened to twenty

when I danced in the moonlight,

my slender form dressed in a gown

white and shimmery as pearl?


What happened to thirty

when I rode my Yamaha

down fire roads, mountain trails,

long black hair flying free?


What happened to those days

I ask the woman in the mirror.

Gone, she says, all gone, unless

you remember it.


In The Dark



Lying in bed, my cheek against your shoulder,

I remember a night, long ago, on your boat.

I was afraid. I felt too much, too fast.

But love crept over us that summer

like silver fog, silent on the lake.

We were never again the same.


We stepped like children through that door that led

to long passages unknown, holding hands, wide-eyed, but brave.

Here I am years later, listening to your soft breath

and feeling your warm smooth skin.

In the dark, now might as well be then.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kathryn, for featuring me and my book today. And thanks for helping me to get back on this blog after all my Yahoo problems. I have missed being able to post and comment.
    You are doing a great job with this site and I enjoy reading it each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two lovely poems, especially for those of us with much to remember -- poems that help us liturgize the past into the present. They spoke to me. Many thanks, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, William. I am always pleased when a reader connects with my poetry.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.