Friday, December 12, 2008

FULL MOON, by Kathryn S. Byer



FULL MOON

Full moon says look I am
over the pinebreak, says give me
your empty glass, pour
all you want, drink, look
out through your windows of ice,
through the eyes of your needles
observe how I climb, lay aside
what you weave on your looms

and see clouds fall away
like cold silk from your shoulders,
be quiet, hear the owl coming back
to the hayloft, shake loose
your long braids and rise up
from your beds, open
windows and curtains, let light
pour like water upon your heads,

all of you women who wait, raise
the shades, throw the shutters
wide, lean from your window ledge
into the great night that beckons
you, smile back at me
and so quietly nobody can hear you
but you, whisper, "Here am I."

by Kathryn Stripling Byer, from BLACK SHAWL, LSU PRESS, '98

4 comments:

  1. This is one of my all time favorite poems. I have loved it for years. I might could say it by heart.

    I remember one night when my family was in Hospice here at the house. Lynn was waken by the full moon in her face. When she told me about seeing it and how she went outside, I grabbed BLACK SHAWL off th book shelf and read her the poem, "Full Moon." I know she will remember it.

    Pat Workman will like it, I'm sure. She is the poet whose blog is Companion Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also one of my favorite poems.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenda,
    I really enjoyed reading this poem, and the picture above was great! Glenda Barrett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Glenda Barrett,
    Kay has done so many wonderful posts using her own photographs. Both the poem and photo are hers.
    Thank you Kay for keeping the blog going so well.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.