Tuesday, July 1, 2008

An exerpt from my book, My Dogs, My Friends

Mandy

Some might say I stole her.

She was tied to a small tree that offered no shade from the blistering hot Florida sun. Day after day she was there in the small hole she had dug for herself in the sand. She may have had water, but I saw no dish. I called Animal Control. They said they’d stop by if they had time. One afternoon, after locking up our flower shop, she stood in the parking lot dragging a rope chewed through.

“Come on, honey, you’re going home with me,” I said as I whisked her to the van. She quickly jumped in. I hoped no one had seen me. On the way home I spoke quietly to her. She came forward and laid her head on my leg.

“Hey, girl, so you wanted to get out of there, right? Well you have and you won’t go back. That’s a promise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.