Sunday, July 13, 2008

An Early Poem by Glenda Beall

Lake Chatuge - photo by Barry Beall
Mountain Seagull

Mountains stretch like layers,
Payne's Grey parchment,
growing fainter
as they reach toward
pale cerulean sky.
The Bald pokes its head
up through a hood of clouds.

Lake Chatuge wraps mountains,
lapping love, cool in coves
tucked tightly between peaks.
Triangled sailboats, red and yellow
swiftly blow before the wind

that rustles maples, locust trees
where songbirds rest.

My spirit soars above the scene,
a seagull far from home,
yearning to embrace all this

and build a nest.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Glenda,
    lovely poem - I like the idea of a seagull in the mountains! Jim C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jim.
    I just cannot make my text come out in all the same fonts on this blog sometimes. I hope to get some lessons soon and maybe I'll do better.
    Lines and spaces don't work properly either.
    This poem came to me when I saw a seagull on Lake Chatuge soon after I moved to these lovely mountains. I couldn't believe it, but there it was.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenda-me and Chitter both loved this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tipper, for your comment. And thanks to Chitter for reading my poem. I'm complimented that she enjoyed it. Tell her we will post one of her poems when she wants to send it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Glenda, my mountain seagull friend, you do embrace these smoky tarns with eyes and spirit clear. The embrace is returned, I know.
    Loved your poem! Pat Workman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Pat. So good to hear from you and to have you back with NCWN West.
    Look forward to reading more of your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glenda,
    The poem with the picture above is just lovely. Thanks for letting us read it. Glenda Barrett

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.