Sunday, July 6, 2014

Is Hubris a Bad Thing?

By Bob Grove, NetWest Prose Critique Group Facilitator

I’m proud to be a writer and I enjoy reading my works to an audience; I think most of us do. That subject came up recently at my prose critique group, and the question arose, “Why is public display of our talent so important to us?” Without a moment’s hesitation, I impulsively answered, “Hubris!” Now that’s an interesting word, and I have no idea why it came out so abruptly. In retrospect, I was somewhat surprised by my spontaneous reply, so I decided to look it up. 

Webster defines hubris as “excessive self-pride; arrogance,” and Greek etymology refines its origin as “an excess of ambition.” But this sounds more like narcissism.

If admiration, or even adulation, is a requisite, am I a narcissist? I pondered that for a while until a psychoanalytical reference informed me that narcissism is “erotic gratification derived from admiration of one’s own physical or mental attributes.” I must admit that I am gratified by applause at a reading, but not that gratified.

There is, however, a more comfortable label. Egoism (not egotism) “emphasizes the importance of oneself in reference to other things...to understand one’s central place in the universe.” Now that sounds pretty good. 

Perhaps writers do share this very useful mechanism in an age of global disharmony. We have the ability to express ourselves and understand our place among our fellows. I like that. It’s a sign of contentment, reflection and introspection; all positive, beneficial characteristics. With this in perspective, egoism seems to be an admirable aspect of hubris. 

Reading our works in front of an audience is a performance art. Perhaps the Greeks were too critical in their disdain for ambition. As writers, we don’t expect to receive lavish monetary rewards. Appreciation is enough, and hubris may be the drive we need to get there.

3 comments:

  1. Good post, Bob.
    I like to read my work for the same reason I like to publish my work. I write to communicate to others what I think, what I believe is important, what I hope is beneficial and to entertain those who listen and who read my work.
    As a writer I also want my work validated and hearing applause when I read or getting a comment from someone who has read my poems, stories, or essays tells me my work is worthy of their attention.
    I think all artists hope to reach an audience that appreciates their work whether it is visual, musical, theatrical, or literary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not about us.
    It's about our message(s)
    We are scribes sharing God's word.
    It is our responsibility to share that word with others.

    So get out there and find more venues
    where you can nourish others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, Hubris may have been the word that came to mind but it was not the word you would likely have used given some time to reflect.
    Many of us who write share the frustration of spending years learning how to write and months writing and re-writing a piece before anyone sees it. There is nothing wrong with hoping for some display of approval for the effort.
    As a writer of non-fiction I am a truth teller in what I write. I do not expect to have readers agree with me or even to love what I have written. But I stop short of saying that I am indifferent to having readers accept the effort and give me a "hug" for making that effort.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.