Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Poet Laureate, Kathryn Stripling Byer visits CWP in Hayesville, NC


Many thanks to Kathryn Stripling Byer for speaking and reading her poetry at Coffee with the Poets in Hayesville, NC today. The atmosphere was casual and comfortable in Crumpets Dessertery at Phillips and Lloyd Book Store in the historic little mountain town. Netwest members and others from the community filled the room.
Kathryn answered questions, and then said she wanted to hear from the local poets who had brought poems to read at open mic.

Mary Mike Keller hosted the session and gave each person a chance to share a poem with the Poet Laureate of North Carolina. Elizabeth Rybicki, owner of Phillips and Lloyd Books, served a delicious cake and candies all in Valentine's Day colors.

We look forward to another great day of poetry in March, second Wednesday, at Coffee with the Poets when Janice Townley Moore and Nancy Simpson will read. Their poetry is published in a new anthology edited by Judith Kitchen and Ted Kooser. The theme of the book is Birds and Nancy asked everyone to bring poems about birds for open mic.
Look for more details on Kathryn Byer's blog and on Nancy Simpson's site.

5 comments:

  1. That was such a wonderful experience ... to rub elbows with the best poets I've ever known, and to meet the women who's poetry I've fallen in love with in the last year or so! It was nice to put faces with names, but especially to put a voice with the poetry! It was amazing and I feel so blessed to have sat and drank coffee with my idols!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so envious of everyone who attended the reading by the Poet Laureate, Kathryn Stripling Byer. How special that must have been and I just hope it happens again when I'm there! :) I can't imagine sharing my poetry with her. Kudos to all who participated and enjoyed this wonderful event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so lucky to be part of this group. What a wonderful happening Coffee with the Poets turned out to be. Kathryn is a warm and lovely person, and she showed such generosity by coming to Hayesville for us. Loved her new poems and hearing her read them. I also enjoyed the open mic. It means so much to hear a poet read and to be able to read our own poems to an appreciative group. Each poem touched me in a different way. I’m inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what fun you guys had. I'm so jealous. :-) You've inspired me to begin some organizing here in TN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda,

    I really enjoyed "Coffee with the Poets." It was a grand celebration of literature and what a joy to have our own NC Poet Laureate Katherine Stripling Byer. She was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.