Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Too Many Books, but I'm addicted

I and my friends are helping to build a library at my sister's retirement center in Atlanta, GA. I don't mean I'm doing any sawing or hammering. I donate books to the library which the residents are already enjoying. At first I heard that only hard cover books would be accepted, but found out later there is a section for paper backs in good condition. I only have one problem. The books I collect from friends call me to look at them, read the inside dust cover, and then I want to keep them for myself. Of course I come to my senses and realize I have more books on my shelves now than I'll be able to read unless I live to be 100. Tonight I'm drawn to keep The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian, a psychological literary thriller. This is the author of Midwives, a Publishers Weekly Best Book and an Oprah book club choice. The first two pages grabbed me and I will have to finish it before it goes to the library shelf at Somerby. This book is based on a story of a homeless man's death and the box of photographs he left behind. This part is true, but the rest of the story is fiction, I understand.
Reminds me of Mike Keller who found an old leather wallet at a flea market and upon searching through it, found old, old, letters crumbling but readable with a story that begged to be told. She wrote a poem. Now is this a found poem, a letter poem, a persona poem or what?
Our other Team member, Nancy, might tell us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. You will not see your comment immediately because all messages must be moderated before being published. We want to hear what you think, and your fellow writers want to know what you think.